People opting to take a gap year and traveling to new places and learning new things before they begin the work grind has been going on for decades. But this has caught the fancy of many students after Barack Obama’s daughter opted to take a gap year. If you are planning to take a break from studies and travel the world you should do so because you will learn a lot, things that cannot be taught in school or college. However, care should be taken and a few tips and tricks are given below to help you have a good travel experience.
- The first and major point of concern for many would be the finances. Ensure that you have money to travel because when you are in a new place you tend to spend a lot. Also research and check if you can augment your finances by working in the places that you travel to. Some countries allow you to work in a field like teaching whereas others do not allow you to, so do your research.
- Wherever possible try to stay in respectable places that are cost effective. If you go to places that are hip and costly you will run out of money very fast. There are many bed and breakfast places that not only provide you a place to stay but also provide you with breakfast. You can also stay at hostels such as the YMCA and others. Some hostels provide food which again will help you to save money and there are others where you can cook yourself which is even better.
- Do not go to fine dining restaurants to eat frequently. Once or twice is fine but if you do it frequently you will not have money with you. Eat at places that the locals frequent. Usually such places are cheap but provide good quality food. This way you will save money.
- Before you embark on your travels make sure to rent storage units San Francisco and keep your things there. They will stay safe and you can get them back when you reach the country again after your travels.
- When you are in a new place and when you make new friend always make sure that you pay only for your expenses, always Go Dutch otherwise you will be spending all your money really fast.
- When in a new place you are bound to come across customs and traditions that you may not agree upon. Even if you feel like laughing or if you get angry you should not show it. It is the culture of the people of that place and you need to understand that. You are there as a visitor to learn and not to make a statement.